Privacy & Cookies
‘How Autistic Are You?’ (working title) is a one-off special made by Betty TV (“betty” or “we” or “us” or “our”) for Channel 4 (“Programme”). It's estimated that 1 in 100 Brits have Autism Spectrum Disorder, but some scientists now believe the real number could be tens of thousands more, with all of us carrying some of the genes for autism which affect our behaviour and the way we communicate. We’ll work alongside the National Autistic Society to try to demystify one of Britain’s most misunderstood neurological disorders. Overseen by experts including Professor Simon Baron-Cohen from the Autism Research Centre at the University of Cambridge (“the ARC”), Professor Liz Pellicano of University College London and Professor Francesca Happé of King's College, London, we’ll present a new way for viewers to visualise where they are on the spectrum of autistic traits, and a team of autistic people will also take to the streets to try to teach the public what it really means to be autistic.
To help our understanding of how autistic traits are spread across the general population we would like your help with some research - we want to know what autistic traits you have. As part of their work at the ARC Professor Simon Baron-Cohen and Dr David Greenberg have designed four short questionnaires (40 questions in total) to identify different autistic traits. These questionnaires and accompanying information and content (“the Tests”), which are hosted by Channel 4 on the Programme information pages on All 4, are provided by or on behalf of betty and its group companies.
Any information provided as part of the Tests and your results is for information purposes only. The tests are not diagnostic – a high score doesn’t mean you definitely have autism or Asperger Syndrome. Whilst we aim to ensure that such information is correct we cannot guarantee that it will meet your health or medical requirements. If you have any concerns you should seek guidance from a medical professional. For further information on autism, you may wish to visit the following websites: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autistic-spectrum-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx, https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/, and/or http://www.autism.org.uk/. These links provided are for information purposes only and these Terms will not apply when you access these sites. We have no control over the contents of these sites or resources.
We may amend the Terms at any time without notifying you.
You do not need to register to take the Tests but, any information (i.e. data) you enter will be used in accordance with the following Privacy Notice.
What data do we collect and why are we doing this?
We may collect the following personal data from you if you choose to take part in the Tests:
- Level of education
- Medical conditions (such as previous autism diagnoses or other psychiatric diagnoses)
To ensure anonymity of the data, we will not be collecting your name, IP address or contact details.
What will your data be used for?
We may use any personal data provided by you to:
- provide you with results of the Tests;
- compare your results with other users who have taken the Tests;
- share your results with approved third parties for analytical purposes (such as researchers at the ARC). This will always be done securely (e.g. by sending them in a password protected file);
- anonymise your Test results and combine them with other users’ results so that the overall results can be included in the Programme; and
- after the Programme is broadcast on Channel 4 your anonymised data may be used by researchers at the ARC as part of their ongoing academic research into autism.
Where will your data be stored?
All data provided by you will be stored in secure servers by Channel 4 and the ARC.
If you do not wish for data to be collected for the purposes set out in this privacy notice then please do not take part in the Tests.
Will I be able to access my data?
A temporary copy of your results will be kept locally on your computer/device during the session you take the Tests but please note that once you close the window these will be deleted and you will not be able to access your results again, unless you retake the Tests. As we anonymise the results of the Tests we are also unable to supply you with a copy of your results or data provided.
Terms and conditions of use:
When taking the Tests you agree to the following:
- You are 16 years old or over. Please do not take the Tests if you are under the age of 16.
- The copyright in any and all material contained on, in or available through the Tests and the results are owned by or licensed to betty and its group companies. All rights are reserved. You may view, print or download extracts of such material for your personal non-commercial use only. Any copying, reproduction or any other form of distribution of the Tests by you or a third party is prohibited and will constitute a copyright infringement.
- Access to the Tests may cease at any time. Once you have completed the Tests and received your results you won’t be able to access these again, unless you retake the Tests.
- The Tests are provided on an “as is” basis. We have taken reasonable care to ensure that the Tests contain no errors, viruses or defects however we cannot guarantee that this is the case. We disclaim all implied and statutory warranties in relation to the Tests to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- We shall not be responsible for any claims, losses, or damages (whether direct or indirect) arising out of or in relation to any use of the Tests or reliance of any information contained within the Tests (except to the extent that such liability cannot be excluded by law).
- These terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Privacy & Cookies notice for www.betty.co.uk
Betty TV Limited is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This statement sets out the basis on which any personal information we collect from you, or that you provide to us, via our Website (“the Website”) will be used. It also sets out the basis on which we will use information you provide to us when you apply to be a contributor on one of our programmes.
What we collect and how we use the information we gather
We may collect information about your computer and about your visits to and use of the Website (including your IP address and geographical location and any other information that you may choose to send us). We use this information to ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer and for internal record keeping.
If you decide to apply to be a contributor on any of our programmes we may ask you to provide personal information. We use this information to evaluate whether you would be a suitable contributor for that programme. We may share this information with members of the programme production team and relevant staff at the broadcaster of the programme. If we do select you to be a contributor in a programme then we may also use this information during the development and production of the programme.
We will not share your address or contact details with any other third parties (unless we are required to do so by law) and your personal information will not be used for any marketing or sales purposes. By using the Website or applying to be on one of our programmes you consent to our use of the information that you have provided to us as set out in this Privacy Statement.
We will use any personal information collected from the website in accordance with all laws and regulations relating to the protection of personal data including the Data Protection Act 1998.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any other website please note that these websites may have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
We may change this privacy statement from time to time. Any such modified statement shall be effective from the date the statement is posted on the Website and you agree to check for any changes regularly.